Thursday 20 March 2014

The Answer, Liverpool O2 Academy, Thursday March 20th 2014

The Answer – Thursday March 20th 2014

I awake from my slumber in the afternoon after a rather heavy night out in Ormskirk the night before. I had accidentally attended a night dubbed “Rock Night” at Styles in Ormskirk. I will always admire people who get up and do something like run their own night, when most people, myself included, always ramble drunkenly about setting up our own nights, but never actually go out and do it. But I do wonder when looking around the room of this bar last night at the very small congregation of people, none of whom look entirely interested in rock music, whether the organiser thinks it’s worth it. Poor song choices like a truly awful metal version of Daft Punk’s Get Lucky that I care not to hear any time again, it gets me to think has Rock had its day? There are crowd pleasers though. Alien Ant Farms cover of “Smooth Criminal” and songs I haven’t heard since My Chemical Romance went swiftly out of fashion. But the problem is there is no crowd to please.

It is this lingering feeling I have mused on the night before that gets me apprehensive about my plans for that evening. I’m off to see one of my favourite modern rock bands. Generally within the last 20 years this has been a genre that has fell out of fashion, and usually it is only the bands that were there in rocks heyday that can actually pull off a decent show. There are thankfully a few exceptions and the Answer are most definitely one of those bands. Great live with some terrific classic rock songs that actually don’t sound outdated, they may not be as big as the behemoths of 70’s rock music. But their songs sit comfortably alongside them on my Ipod.

I had seen them numerous times before. The first time thanks to a particularly poor line-up at Download Festival, where I stumbled on to them in the early stage of their career. In a small tent with not many of us knowing who they were or what we were in for, they completely blew everyone away. It was enough to make me rush out and buy their debut album Rise. The years passed and 3 more albums later, I have caught them 3 times since and every time they have surpassed my expectations. But now I sit here wondering what fate was in store for rock music and rock nights after the poor showing the night before.

Doors are at 7pm. fashionably late we arrive at Liverpool’s O2 Academy at 7:45, fully expecting to walk in and be ready for the first act. Entering the room, the small turnout can’t be ignored. My fears of the previous night realised. Rock just does not draw big crowds anymore. Undeterred my buddy and I head for the bar, small crowd or not, we were here to drink beer and give support to a great live act. And who turns up for a support band anyway, the people would come later. My next big shock comes after getting a pint put in front of me and the bargirl stating “That’s £4.50 please” I will never understand how venue’s like this feel they can hike the prices up. It is little wonder why most of the crowd have opted to come later and enjoy a beverage somewhere else until The Answer come on.

Unfortunately then, support act Black wolf take to the stage with not many people to encourage. It is a decent enough effort from all involved on stage though, in particular a fine display from the drummer who hammers through the set and makes sure those in attendance are thumping to his beat. You can’t fault the enthusiasm shown. Perhaps a little lacking in their own style and sound they more than make up for it with the energy needed when playing for a smaller crowd. Half way through song “Moving Mountains” the song turns and with some delicious guitar lead, I am now more than a little interested. And the highlight of their set is new single “Keep Moving On” This is what we want from rock music, great riffs and a good groove to move along to. And then a chorus that makes singing along inevitable.



Endlessly they try to pep up a lacklustre crowd but to be fair they are hardly inspiring with very standard shouts of “Sing after me HEY HEY HEY”. Unless you are James Hetfield, this just sounds a little forced, and clearly shows this band although clearly rich with energy have perhaps not found their own sense of identity yet and when the singer attempts “Sing after me WOAH” which in all honesty sounds very flat. Again it shows a band and a vocalist with limits. There are enough good riffs and certainly great lead guitar moments to carry this band through though. And with their debut album just released, there’s plenty of room to improve.

Forgivingly when I turn around at the end of the set I do realise now the crowd has started to arrive. Still nowhere near as many as I expected but more none the less. Some overpriced lager later and the excitement builds as we await the Answer to arrive on stage. I wonder whether I am about to witness the same level I have seen previously with this band. Within moments of frontman Cormac Neeson taking to the stage, all worries I have are long gone. Exploding into new song New Horizon from the new album of the same name, there is now a new energy within the crowd that had failed to be seen previously in the evening.



Glorious use of the harmonica, every frontman’s favourite accessory, in song “Trouble” you understand quickly that this bands secret is that they clearly love playing this music. This is a band smiling throughout. And when crowd pleaser “Under the sky” takes the night to a dizzying high, the crowd are smiling too. All the elements you come to expect from a live rock band are thrown in. A Drum solo intro into new song Concrete performed impeccably by James Heatley on the pots and pans. Followed by a cover of Rory Gallagher’s Cradle Rock, which in all honesty is just an excuse for lead guitarist Paul Mahon to show off his incredible talents. All the elements you expect from a live rock act but not over the top or tedious as with some lengthy interlude solos.

Nowhere Freeway, refreshingly done with just acoustic melody, sends shivers down the spine. Its delicacy is a really great moment sandwiched within the harder rock anthems. Upon saluting the whiskey drinkers within the building and gliding through the superb “Memphis Water” and crowd shout out favourite “Come Follow Me”. Inevitably the band retire to backstage while the crowd chant and cheer for the encore we all know we were going to get. Surprisingly they reappear with the song “Comfort Zone” for me the only mistake in an otherwise glorious set. This slower number for me not right for an encore but its more than made up for with the next song. My personal favourite “Preachin” and to be fair, it’s the song of the night. Not only does the slide guitar in this song inspire the entire room to be swinging their hips, banging their head and singing the last of what their throats will offer. But we are treated by a remarkable touch of class from Cormac who not content with just singing at the front of the stage, climbs over the barrier and into the crowd, singing within the middle of his captivated audience. He lowers everyone down to the ground for the tender middle of the song before jumping us back up when it crashes back in. It sends the crowd into biblical euphoria as he continues his preaching sermon “I'm gonna get me religion, ooh I'm gonna join the Baptist church” It’s a rapturous ending and will send everyone away with beaming Cheshire cat style mouths.



On reflection, rock may not be in the forefront of the album charts anymore, but I for one am pleased that bands like The Answer are still flying the flag for this type of music. And I encourage anyone who is into this genre of music to show their support and get down to these gigs. I feel too many rock fans are apathetic with their support and it’s such a shame amazing bands like this can’t fill smaller venues out. I will be back next time The Answer come to visit us, will you?


Check out The Answer http://www.theanswer.ie/
Check out BlackWolf http://www.ukblackwolf.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment