Sunday 9 March 2014

A Bugged Out Weekender - Sunday March 9th 2014 - DAY 3

A Bugged Out Weekender – Day 3 – Sunday 9th March 2014
The 3rd day of a festival is often accompanied by the missing of my bed, the longing for a wash and is usually the day I start to long for home. Tired and running out of money, I say to myself that I shall take it easier on this third day knowing full well I’m in work the next day and that I have to drive to get there. But as with the other days I soon realise this is a different type of festival and that in turn means I feel slightly different about the day ahead.

Awaking from my slumber as the clock hits 3pm. I have optimistic thoughts of what we can do this afternoon before getting tucked in to some glorious dancing once again. Again I immerse myself into the luxury of getting a shower in the morning and freshening up. Why can’t every festival come complete with a private chalet? And Unlike most festivals where my money starts dwindling the closer I get to the end, I am astounded to look into my wallet and find a handsome amount of cash. This is no doubt due to the price of a beer being £2.30, half what you would pay at any Leeds, Reading, Download type festivals. And there was no reason to part with my hard earned money here by throwing it away on fair rides and overpriced beef burgers. Here at Pontin’s, the mini golf, the go karts and the family bikes are all free.  

The weather slightly gloomy but staying dry, it is time for the chalet mini golf tournament. We grab the clubs from reception, one a toddler’s size and one slightly larger but about as straight as a banana. Hey it’s free, what did we expect. We make our way over to the course. And looking ahead at hole 1, it is clear early on that this is well in need of a lick of paint and some of the obstacles should probably have been condemned long ago. It suddenly dawns on me that this is a mini golf course that hundreds if not thousands of kids must come to play on every summer season. But what we find on our way around is ramps that don’t work, holes that look like they have been cut through by a blind man and perhaps most disturbing are the dolphins which seem to have been mutilated and left to rot. Not the most children friendly environment and I’m sure many a kids dreams have been haunted by the sight of those dolphins upon a visit to Pontins. No score card was kept on the way round, but I’m confident I won, though I’m sure this may be disputed by the other players who all claim they won too!


After seeing the standard and maintenance levels displayed on the golf, we decide to body swerve the go karts so that we don’t die and instead opt to part with some of our cash by getting a clay oven pizza for £7. I can’t stress enough how delicious this pizza was, worth every penny! Then we decide to drink away our disturbed thoughts over those maimed dolphins in the pub next door. Unsuccessful we then head to the chalet to plunge more alcoholic concoctions down our throats in order to make the last night as good as the others. It works and by the time we head out we are nicely merry ready to dance the heels further off my Chelsea boots.

Leaving a little later than planned the first act we get in to watch is Boddika. Upon entering the room it is obvious that this is a harder techno than what had come the previous nights. And in all honesty I am not convinced that the weary souls on day 3 of a festival can handle the harsher tones being served up. I head to the bar, a mistake in itself, I time from the minute I get my body to the bar to the time I get served. 35 minutes. It’s utterly ludicrous service and to be fair most of the staff show their discontent towards the crowd, rather than wear a smile on their face. Deciding to make a point half way through being stood there, I attempt to alert a staff member to my long wait, he decides to ignore my complaint, instead grumbling about how the staff did not know this event was taking place before the weekend and that they were not happy. Like it matters, it’s your job to serve drinks, now where is my pint dickhead?

Somewhat forgivingly, eventually I get my lager, and I’m away to the dance floor, I had heard a lot of Boddika’s set while grumbling at the bar, and I soon realise that perhaps this was the perfect musical accompaniment to a last night. Tired souls and tired legs would probably be flaking out had the music been slightly less aggressive, and the thumping techno beats certainly woke me up. A new Radioslave tune is served up called “Don’t Stop” it isn’t released yet but it explodes through the room, look out for this one when it comes out. Boddika ensure that no weary passengers are thinking of an early exit this evening.

Intoxicated with the techno and booze and putting all my energy into my ridiculous dancing technique, I miss the point Boddika finishes and Joy Orbison starts. Embarrassingly turning to my friend to ask “What time does Joy Orbison start mate?” “Er… he came on half an hour ago” How the fuck did that happen. The techno was melting my brain. Sure enough we had brought the steed out to the big disco again and sure enough everyone flocked to him to say their farewells and let him guide them to a glorious last night. Hoisted upon high, and pumped hard up and down to the bass, he was looking after me now and not the other way around.



After Joy Orbison comes Carl Craig. One of the big Detroit techno names and certainly the act I was looking forward to most on this final evening. I am not to be disappointed, this would be a glorious release of my inhibitions as I throw my hands in the air on numerous occasions, the energy in the room is not tailing off one bit. The room is like a furnace and the sweat is dripping off our faces but everyone there loves every moment, Carl plays “Blackwater” by Octave One and sends the whole room in to euphoria. “How to play our music” By Reece and Santonio further mesmerises the captivated disciples in the room, it’s an incredible penultimate set.

And then as the hours were falling away we come to the last act on a quite remarkable weekend of dance music. And entertaining us at the very end would be Dave Clarke, a name which perfectly fits Bugged Out and its anniversary celebrations. Picking up the energy immediately where Carl Craig left off. There is no time to rest as the set starts off with the same intensity as the previous acts. Everyone in attendance determined to give it their all for the last act, the room is bouncing. Dettman’s remix of Bad Kingdom by Moderat sends the steed sky high once again, and then All Day by Gingy & Bordello remixed by Robert Hood finishes any ounce of control I have left. With every beat my body is more and more lost to Dave’s control. It is a stunning end.



As the set ends and the crowds start to disperse, I try and find fault with this Bugged Out Weekend and I honestly struggle. It has been one hell of a journey the last three days and inspired by some great DJ’s and some awesome new friends on the dance floor and of course our very own party steed, every soul walking away that night can start their journeys home the next day with smiles on their faces. And so it’s a congratulations to the organisers on converting me completely to this festival. I will be there next year for sure. Perhaps it won’t be at Pontin’s Southport, as to be fair the only criticisms would be aimed at their lacklustre staff and dodgy mini golf. But wherever it is, I’ll be there, with the heels of my Chelsea boots fixed and ready for another stellar weekend.  Roll on next year!


A playlist of tracks from this night can be found here http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJGKdp0TfS-cqPJ7FKWYjtaE8uuRZOKCP

No comments:

Post a Comment